Superannuation is a right for all Australian workers. Your employer must pay 9.5% of your income, including bonuses, commissions, and leadings into your superannuation account, which is registered with the ATO. This is called the Superannuation Guarantee, and it’s the law.
If you’re a full-time senior stylist with a level 3 certificate, for example, then on the Hair and Beauty Award, you should receive approximately $4000 a year in superannuation.
If you’re a first-year apprentice, you should receive approximately $2000 a year in superannuation. You may receive more or less depending on your hours worked, weekend shifts, etc., but this is a good benchmark.
Your superannuation must be paid into your account at least every 3 months, so we recommend you check your account every 2-3 months, just to make sure that everything’s coming in like it should. You can check your super balance on your MyGov account by linking it with the ATO. Click here more info if you’re not sure how to set it up.

My employer isn’t paying my super. What do I do?

If you’ve already left a salon where you weren’t paid super, good news – you still have up to 5 years to claim it back!

  1. Check the Award and National Employment Standards. Read over this document or get in touch with us if you’re not sure, and we’ll confirm whether your employer is breaching legislation. If it doesn’t add up, then investigate!
  2. Gather your evidence. Screenshot SMS or Facebook messages if you’ve asked for your super in the past, forward emails to another account and take photos of any handwritten notes or payslips. Make sure you have copies of everything in safe place.
  3. Contact your employer. Make it clear that to them they are breaching the Hair and Beauty Award, or National Employment Standards. Email, write or SMS your employer and state that you are asking for your legal entitlements. Stick to the facts and try not to be emotional. The Hair and Beauty Award and National Employment Standards are correct, not your employer. There is no exceptions to the law!
  4. Take it further. If your employer still refuses to give you your entitled leave, get in touch, and we can help escalate the situation through the Australian Taxation Office, or your local small claims court