Whether your planning a nice vaycay or you need some sick leave, find out about your entitlements to leave here.

What you need to know

What types of leave am I entitled to?

If you are employed as a permanent employee either full time or part time you are entitled to a number of different types of paid and unpaid leave.

These entitlements to leave do not apply if you are employed on a casual basis.

Annual Leave (Holiday Leave)

All employees (except casual employees) are entitled to 4 weeks paid annual leave each year. If you are employed on a part time basis, your leave will be calculated based on how many ordinary hours you work.

Annual leave accumulates from the first day of employment, even if your on a probation period.

The leave accumulates gradually during the year and any unused annual leave will roll over from year to year.

Sick & Carers Leave

You are entitled to take Sick and Carers Leave when you can’t work due to a personal illness or injury. This can include stress or pregnancy related illness. You are entitled to use Sick & Carers Leave to care for or support an immediate family member or member of your household who is sick, injured or had an unexpected emergency.

Full-time employees are entitled to 10 paid Sick & Carers leave days per year. That amount is pro rata for part time employees, and casual employees do not have an entitled to paid sick leave.

Full-time and part-time employees accumulate sick and carer’s leave during a year or work. It starts to build up from your first day of work and is based on the number of hours you work. The balance at the end of each year carries over to the next year.

Maternity and Parental Leave

All employees in Australia are entitled to parental leave.

You are entitled to take parental leave if you have worked with the employer for at least 12 month before the date or the expected date of the birth (or before the date of adoption or when the leave starts).

If your employed on a casual basis you can be eligible for parental leave if you have been working for the same employer for a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months and have a reasonable expectation of continuing with the same employer had it not been for the birth or adoption of a child.

If you meet the criteria for parental leave and if you are the primary carer of a newborn or adopted child you get up to 18 weeks’ leave paid at the national minimum wage.

What can I do if I need help?

If you’re experiencing a problem with your pay, read on to find out more information on what you can do. To access this information you need to be a HSA member. It’s easy to join.

Steps to take if you need help

1st step. Is your employer in breach of the Hair & Beauty Award? If you’re unsure book a call or chat with us.

2nd step. Ask the question. If your employer is in breach of the Hair & Beauty Award ask the question.  If this is the first time something has gone wrong at work and you’ve got a good relationship with the boss, just ask the question. Make sure you put any questions to your boss about working conditions in writing. If you need any tips get in touch with us. Book a call or chat.

3rd step: Be clear on your outcome. What outcome are you seeking? Is it a realistic outcome? Are there any other outcomes you would be happy with?

4th step: Professional advice & Support. If you’ve asked the question and your employer does not agree or refuses to consult with you on the matter, then it’s time to get some professional advice and support. Book a call to get in touch with one of our legal officers for advice on how to handle the situation.

Hair Stylists Australia