As an apprentice, including school-based apprentices, you have the same wage entitlements and leave as a full employee – that’s including overtime, penalty rates, public holidays, annual leave and personal leave.

You must also be paid for all time worked, including:

  • Time worked in the salon
  • Opening and closing the salon
  • Compulsory out-of-hours activities, such as training or meetings
  • Off-the-job or off-site training

Apprentices may also be reimbursed for the following:

  • Training fees
  • Textbooks (if they are not already available for you to use)
  • Travelling to and from training, as well as meals and accommodation

Training fees and textbook costs need to be reimbursed by your employer within 6 months of payment. You must be supervised at all times while performing work in the salon. Training must be given by a senior stylist.

Apprentices CANNOT be left alone in the salon without a senior stylist at any time.

My employer isn’t giving me my rightful entitlements, what do I do?

  1. Check the Award and National Employment Standards. Read over this document or get in touch with us if you’re not sure, and we’ll confirm whether your employer is breaching legislation. If it doesn’t add up, then investigate!
  2. Gather your evidence. Screenshot SMS or Facebook messages, forward emails to another account and take photos of any handwritten notes or payslips. Make sure you have copies of everything in safe place.
  3. Contact your employer. Make it clear that to them they are breaching the Hair and Beauty Award, or National Employment Standards. Email, write or SMS your employer and state that you are asking for your legal entitlements. Stick to the facts and try not to be emotional. The Hair and Beauty Award and National Employment Standards are correct, not your employer. There are no exceptions to the law!
  4. Take it further. If your employer still refuses to give you your entitled pay or conditions, get in touch, and we can help escalate the situation through the Fair Work Commission or your local small claims court.