Have you had a conversation with a client that turned into a therapy session?
Our clients often open up to us about their personal lives while in the salon chair. From relationship issues, grief and loss, family violence, mental illness, and trauma – we hear it all. Hair stylists often play the role of counsellor, but with no training, advice or support.
That’s why HSA is calling for mandatory understanding mental health training to be included as part of a hair stylist’s apprenticeship.
Hair stylists desperately need support to manage difficult conversations, and to help our clients seek professional help from experts. And we need better safeguards for ourselves, so we can manage our own exposure to vicarious trauma.
Sign the petition and show your support for mental health training in our industry!
Sign our Petition!
What’s the issue?
HSA is working collaboratively with industry stakeholders, like AHC, to conduct a full review of the current apprenticeship training package for hair stylists.
We are pushing to include a mental health module as part of an apprentice’s Certificate 3 course, alongside perms, cuts, colours, etc. Our mission is to make sure hair styling apprentices are provided with the relevant skills and training to succeed in the industry!
That’s where you come in.
When the news first broke that we were looking at this, HSA received a huge outpouring of support from hair stylists across the country – from veterans who left the industry to emotional stress to apprentices just starting out and looking for advice.
It’s time for us to gather up all that energy and take action. We need to show that the industry backs mental health training. The more hair stylists and apprentices who support our campaign, the louder our voice will be!
Are you able to go the extra mile? We’re on the lookout for activists who can help share our campaign online, spread the word in the industry and help us plan our next steps. Our activists are the heart and soul of HSA, and we couldn’t do it without them!
We also need your stories and experiences. If you’ve ever been in a situation with a client where you think training would have helped, please reach out to us! These can be completely confidential if you prefer.
What is HSA all about?
We’re Australia’s first union just for hair stylists, and we’re here to shake up the industry. HSA is an online-driven movement to bring hair stylists together and provide support and employment services for our members.
As well as joining our awesome nationwide network of hair stylists, members get access to:
- Expert advice to help reclaim stolen wages.
- Legal support for workplace disputes.
- Our online library of rights and entitlements to keep you informed.
- Reclaim and consolidate lost superannuation.
- Support to ensure you receive full entitlements at work, including breaks, overtime, penalty rates and super.
- Our network of amazing ambassadors and their professional advice.
Plus, you’ll be supporting all the work we do to help hair stylists across Australia, including:
- Fighting to protect your entitlements under the Hair and Beauty Award
- Securing equal pay for casual workers at the Fair Work Commission
- Changing industry culture
- Advocating for industry safety from the salon floor to the corridors of power
- Raising awareness of workplace bullying and harassment
- Outreach programmes in training academies