At HSA, we’re all about making change, and we know that change starts from the ground up, which is why we’re calling on all senior stylists and managers who see bullying at work to speak up and call it out.
There’s no better time to start than right now. Here are 5 simple ways you can fight bullying in your salon when you see it.
1. Speak up and call out the behaviour. State the problem, state the consequence and offer a solution. For example, “When you call Alice useless or wrong, she gets nervous and makes more mistakes. Instead of attacking her, suggest ‘hey, try it this way’ or ‘I found this way is better.'”
2. Show support to the person being bullied. Take them out for a coffee before or after work and help make them feel like part of the group. Feeling isolated or left-out at work takes a huge emotional toll, especially if you’re new to the industry.
3. Defuse the situation when you see it happening. Take the person being bullied away by saying, things like “Hey, I need a hand with this” or “Come and watch this technique, it might be helpful.”
4. Record when things are happening, the date and time, and what you are seeing, even if it’s just a quick note on your phone. It will be super helpful if the person being bullied decides to take things further.
5. Join forces – get other senior stylists on board and ask if they have noticed anything at work. Ask them to follow these tips as well!
We know that when there’s bullying in the salon, we’re all affected. It makes work more stressful for everyone, and it creates an unpleasant work environment.
HSA knows that it takes a lot of courage to stand up to bullying and call it out. It’s one thing to talk about it, and another thing to put it into practice – but it can be done! Next time, we’re talking to two senior stylists who stood up for their workmates and took on a bully at work.
We will only put an end to toxic workplaces when we stand together. As part of HSA, you receive one-on-one advice and support on how to handle a toxic or stressful workplace, what legal rights you have to stop bullying, and representation if you want to need to have a meeting with your employer. HSA is always in your corner! Get started today and take control of your working life.